the high cost of prescription drugs causes many to risk their health by not taking their medications as prescribed
- 93% of Canadians feel it’s important that everyone in Canada has equal access to prescription drugs.
- 88% of Canadians agree that the federal government has a responsibility to ensure there is prescription drug coverage for all people living in Canada.
- 88% of Canadians support a national pharmacare program that provides equal access to prescription drugs – regardless of income – with one in two (51%) saying they strongly support such a program.
- Over the past 12 months, one in four Canadians (24%) decided not to fill or renew a prescription, or did something to make a prescription last longer, due to its cost.
- One in four Canadians (25%) have an individual in their household who has hesitated about quitting or changing jobs to prevent losing prescription drug coverage.
- 35% of Canadians have experienced household budgetary stress due to the cost of prescription drugs.
- One in five Canadians (21%) with drug coverage report that they pay part of the cost of a prescription out-of-pocket, and that those costs are difficult to afford.
About the study:
Environics Research conducted this online poll of 1,500 adult Canadians aged 18+ between August 8 and 16, 2019. The margin of error for a comparable probability-based random sample of 1,500 is +/- 2.6 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.